Today was a day of juggling a million and one things and it's days like today that I often get an impulse to bake one of the family favorites, because it'll earn me brownie points and by choosing lemon meringue pie cupcakes, I earnt brownie points with not only my mum as it's one of her favorites but also the kids came in from school to warm gooey yumminess (yes it's a word!) and for the first time in ages I thought whoo hoo I may just be rocking the mummy malarkey! hehe it won't last but I'm going to revel in it for a moment! ;-)
So I thought since it was a family favorite it may also be liked by you guys! so here's the recipe, do let me know if you try it out!
110g Cream Cheese
1 Tbsp of Icing Sugar
1 Tbsp of fresh lemon Juice
110g Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
2 Large Eggs
110g Self Raising Flour
1 Tsp of Baking Powder
For the Lemon Curd........
85g Unsalted Butter
3 Tbsp of Fresh Lemon Juice
2 LRG Eggs
2 LRG Egg Yolks
110g Caster Sugar
Grated Rind of 2 Lemons
For the Meringue...
2 LRG Egg Whites
225g Caster Sugar
Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 or 180c
- Whisk the cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon juice together and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy, then add one egg at a time. Slowly add in the flour and baking powder.
- Gently fold the cream cheese mixture into the flour mixture.
- Spoon the batter into 12 prepared cases being careful to not over fill.
- Bake in the oven till springy to touch, for approx 20mins!
In the meantime........
Prepare the lemon curd!
- Put the lemon juice and butter in a pan over a medium heat till the butter melts.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks, eggs and sugar together till blended.
- Continue to whisk as you slowly add in the hot mixture of butter and lemon.
- Then return the whole mixture to the pan and cook over a medium heat till it thickens, normally takes about 5 minutes! make sure you stir it the whole time!
If you do have any Curd left over after your cupcakes, pop into a sterilized jar and eat on your toast for brekkie, yummy!!
- Next spoon a generous amount onto each cupcake. Now you can choose to core your cupcakes so you can fit more curd in but I like popping generous amounts just on top as you get yummier meringue when the curd bubbles into it!
- Finally whisk in a clean bowl your egg whites, till soft peaks are formed, gradually add you sugar, don't rush!
- then spoon generous amounts over the top of your cupcake and use a knife to swirl it around. I think the more rustic the better but if you do want neat peaks, use a piping bag!
- Pop back in the oven for about 15mins!
Best enjoyed hot from the oven with a huge cup of tea!
Let me know if you do bake these and I'll be sharing more recipes soon!